Skip to main content

No Identity? No Problem! - struggling to find your true self in a world that just wants you to fit in


Bloody Hell, folks. It's been a while. A hot minute, some would say. Firstly, a sincere sorry for not writing on here for ages. It's been a crazy few months marked by illness, indecision (or the malevolent goblin of indecision, 'the duck of indecision' - I'll put a pic of him at the end) and inner turmoil and frustration. But tonight I felt inspired and wanted to write a little something about how I would go about constructing an identity when a) you don't feel like you really have one, and 2) there is a pull from society/peers/family to just be like everyone else (primarily so that you remain unproblematic and therefore fit seamlessly into the world we live in, its qualms unnoticed and its wonders ignored). So I have a couple of tips (can I really call them that? Let's say ideas) that might kickstart you (and me, goodness knows I need it!) into discovering more so who we are and who we want to be! Right, shall we get started?


Have a kit-kat (aka take a break from social media) 

We see so, so many people, brands, ideas and products on social media. They're thrown at us from every which way, and although this might seem like a pretty simple idea, it's actually pretty darn difficult. It's a bit easier if you don't own a smartphone, but ha! Who doesn't own one of those?! (Me actually...). 

But anyway, I would advise, even if it's only for a weekend, to put down your phone and explore your mind with a new curiosity. If you see something you'd normally upload to instagram almost instantaneously, try appreciating it without seeking the mutuality of its beauty through sharing it on the internet. Being mindful is in my opinion an overused and sometimes misused concept, but it really is important to imprint beautiful parts of the world onto your memory, not just the 'moments' section of your phone. 

Looking elsewhere for inspiration is so fulfilling: people on the street, colour palettes in rooms and natural phenomena (the seasons, rainbows, sunsets), conversations had with strangers and deep meaningful chats late at night with friends. This might seem a tad idealistic, but ah well, I am a true idealist. Nothing inherently good can come from comparing yourself with/being entirely inspired by people on the internet that most likely only share the fabulous pics they take and the wondrous fun they occasionally have. Your identity is so much more interesting than your instagram feed. 


Wear What The F*ck You Want 

We so fear (or simply apprehend) what people will say about us, whether it's behind our back or to our faces. Comments can really imbed themselves into our psyche and shape our future behaviours, but that's why we need to be ducks that let water run off their backs when it comes to fashion and personal style. I sometimes worry (in my more "interesting" ensembles) I'll be mocked around and about, and yet I rarely am. Occasionally when these things do occur, it tends to come from teenage girls who (sorry if you are one) are desperate to seem cool and ultimately fit in, thereby demonstrating that they're not actually confident in themselves. 

Wearing something you truly love or throwing a whole bunch of things all together that make you feel like you're representing something deep within yourself is such a wonderful act of freedom. Plus, it's a great way of finding out what you are and aren't comfortable with looking like. So, experiment and test looks out. As I say oh-so-frequently in my retail job, you don't know til you try! 


It's A-OK to change your mind however frequently you want 

There's so much pressure on us from eighteen or much younger to know what you want to do with the rest of your life. Ultimately, no one really knows that ever. Some people might find their calling fairly young and some of us just never come to any kind of conclusion and that's okay too. It's bloody difficult to decide such things when there are a multitude of options. So don't be afraid to fear the uncertainty of the future, because uncertainty means that all things are possible. 

I change my mind on (almost) a daily basis. I have so many grandiose plans and ideas: I will be a writer, I will be a politician, a psychiatrist, an artist, an academic or vintage shop owner, and so on. I'm young, okay? All possibilities are possible. We have undiscovered talents, all of us. Let yourself wander down the path of life, a gentle meander, to see where we end up: no map, no plan, just a thirst for joy and connection. Dear Lord, that was deep. Anyway, you get my drift. 


So, folks, in summary: put your phone down, wear those purple sequin trousers (if that's your bag, or indeed your trousers...) and don't berate yourself for the not-knowing that is so much a part of the human condition. Stay fab and I hope you enjoyed this post. Thank you for reading :) 


Follow me on Instagram @jumper.dweller 

Much love, 
Louise 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not-Dinner-Party-Appropriate: anecdotes from the mental hospital

 I feel like a time traveller. I've awoken in 2021, sleeping through a pandemic and my teenage years, now in my mid-twenties. I have no dinner-party-appropriate anecdotes. Only mental ill-health with bouts of questionable wellness. I have been in four different mental hospitals, which I predict could be four more than most people. No one talks about it, including me. Like, at all.  Whenever someone talks about mental illness, there is this most impenetrable silence, followed by: 'I knew someone who was depressed once.' Or a casual, almost nonchalant change of subject. I mean, we talk about mental health a lot - how to keep it afloat, how to do 'self-care' in a commercially-assisted sense. It's all body butters and face masks.  I don't like it when people reduce preventing mental illness down to looking after yourself or not. That is a large part of it, a whole team of people looked after me at my worst. Most things cannot be made better with a face mask.  It

Imposters: a story about a Capgras delusion

  It's cold. I'm always so cold. My hands quiver blue and wrists bloom purple, after days of bang, bang, banging my wrist on the arm of my chair. I don't think I'm okay, but I don't think I'm not okay either. I think, I think, I think I'm breaking. I am on the children's ward. I have not seen my real parents for months. Some strange people visit sometimes. I hide from them. They are not my parents. They are often nice and I begin to trust them, then they'll do something off-kilter and I shy away again, like a beaten dog.  I had climbed out of a window, bawled through the lane outside the house and taken solace at a friend's home up the road. Gently I was led back to my childhood home and bundled into the car, driven to the hospital and admitted in hopes of finding a way to avoid another inpatient admission. We couldn't find one.  I arrive at the unit, brittle. Last time I was in this position, I had a home, but now I'm adrift. My parents

Section three - a mental hospital anecdote

  There is so much that I can't tell you about my third admission, so much I can't remember. Illness blurs the details and the privacy I owe to my friends erases the daily minutiae of the unit. In short, I had been sectioned - section three, six months. A treatment order, that in retrospect, could probably have been avoided. Or maybe that is just what I like to tell myself when I think about it late at night.  I had found myself in a field, shivering in the early evening sun. It was July, I was in love, but still very, very ill. I had been taken on four occasions to our local accident and emergency department that week. I was, as I read later in my unit-admission report, 'no longer manageable in the community'. I was sad, but determined. I was determined to make an exit any way I could. Instead I was flown to Woking, heavily sedated - so much so that I have no memory of the journey there and was deemed 'unresponsive' in my admission interview.  I digress. So man