Skip to main content

It's Cool to be Kind (to yourself): low self-esteem - how it affects my life and how to combat it


For some unknown, or at the least semi-unknown reason, it is ridiculously difficult for me to be kind to myself. I'm sure many of you reading (if there are actually 'many' of you in the first place?) will be able to identify with that. In a culture where every single achievable thing is quantified and compared with everyone else's achievable things, it's unsurprisingly that we young whippersnappers struggle to admit that we have value and worth aside from what we create/our grades/our monetary assets. Everything is about consuming, growing and competing, and that is just not a culture that cultivates kindness. 

Self care!

It is a radical thing, these days, to treat yourself nicely. We preach self-care as gospel, but it's far from bubble baths (Lush being our treat of choice), painting nails and applying some oddly cooling face mask. Self-care is our weapon, our fortress against low self-esteem. Once we value ourselves as people, looking after ourselves properly as an integral part of that, we can see that we are more than what we have. We are what we are, authentically, unabashed and without regret.


I feel like a lot of problems stem from low self-esteem. For me, it's self-destructive behaviour: compulsive shopping, self-injury, disordered eating. There is something deep, very embedded in my being, that craves a balm for my suffering because I am just not enough. I am learning everyday that it is actually quite the contrary: I am enough and these behaviours actually feed the beast, so to speak.  

Self-care is our first step: end relationships that do not serve you; eat regularly and well; walk and think and do things you enjoy simply because you deserve to do these things. 

Some words of wisdom: 'You are the only person you'll ever truly have for the rest of your life', my old therapist, 2016. - these are wise words indeed. 

I have a couple of ideas on how to combat low self-esteem beside self-care, which I'll explore a bit below:

Inner Mother

If you have a good mother figure already, imagine what she might say to you in any given situation: if you're struggling to eat, she might make you something. Do that for yourself. She might comfort you if you're upset, so comfort yourself. It means something different for everyone to mother yourself. If your mother is insufficient for your needs (and I mean no offence by that), imagine what you would want your mother to do/say and implement that into how you treat yourself. It's a powerful tool. 

Be Gentle with Yourself

The perfectionist in me always screams: 'Louise, you're doing it wrong! Why didn't you get it right (aka perfect) the first time? You're useless'. To this I declare, fuck off perfectionist mind and let me get things wrong because that's okay. One step forward and two steps back still involves a degree of progress. There's no pressure to get everything right first time, so try not to enforce it on yourself too much. But again, if you find yourself demanding too much, that's okay. Recognise it and move on. Gently goes, eh?


Right, I think I've rambled a bit too much here, but I'm being gentle with myself and posting this anyway, though my low self-esteem sings in my ear 'no one will read this, it's too long. No one cares!'. Hey-ho, nothing improves overnight but we can take positive steps forward.

Let me know your thoughts over on my instagram @jumper.dweller
Take care! 

Comments

  1. People do read your blogs,and care ,but not everyone will comment,but thinks about what you wrote for the next few days,quietly,by themselves,in gentle silence

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not-Dinner-Party-Appropriate: anecdotes from the mental hospital

 I feel like a time traveller. I've awoken in 2021, sleeping through a pandemic and my teenage years, now in my mid-twenties. I have no dinner-party-appropriate anecdotes. Only mental ill-health with bouts of questionable wellness. I have been in four different mental hospitals, which I predict could be four more than most people. No one talks about it, including me. Like, at all.  Whenever someone talks about mental illness, there is this most impenetrable silence, followed by: 'I knew someone who was depressed once.' Or a casual, almost nonchalant change of subject. I mean, we talk about mental health a lot - how to keep it afloat, how to do 'self-care' in a commercially-assisted sense. It's all body butters and face masks.  I don't like it when people reduce preventing mental illness down to looking after yourself or not. That is a large part of it, a whole team of people looked after me at my worst. Most things cannot be made better with a face mask.  It

Imposters: a story about a Capgras delusion

  It's cold. I'm always so cold. My hands quiver blue and wrists bloom purple, after days of bang, bang, banging my wrist on the arm of my chair. I don't think I'm okay, but I don't think I'm not okay either. I think, I think, I think I'm breaking. I am on the children's ward. I have not seen my real parents for months. Some strange people visit sometimes. I hide from them. They are not my parents. They are often nice and I begin to trust them, then they'll do something off-kilter and I shy away again, like a beaten dog.  I had climbed out of a window, bawled through the lane outside the house and taken solace at a friend's home up the road. Gently I was led back to my childhood home and bundled into the car, driven to the hospital and admitted in hopes of finding a way to avoid another inpatient admission. We couldn't find one.  I arrive at the unit, brittle. Last time I was in this position, I had a home, but now I'm adrift. My parents

Section three - a mental hospital anecdote

  There is so much that I can't tell you about my third admission, so much I can't remember. Illness blurs the details and the privacy I owe to my friends erases the daily minutiae of the unit. In short, I had been sectioned - section three, six months. A treatment order, that in retrospect, could probably have been avoided. Or maybe that is just what I like to tell myself when I think about it late at night.  I had found myself in a field, shivering in the early evening sun. It was July, I was in love, but still very, very ill. I had been taken on four occasions to our local accident and emergency department that week. I was, as I read later in my unit-admission report, 'no longer manageable in the community'. I was sad, but determined. I was determined to make an exit any way I could. Instead I was flown to Woking, heavily sedated - so much so that I have no memory of the journey there and was deemed 'unresponsive' in my admission interview.  I digress. So man