Skip to main content

Being Weird (Among Others): my experience at my first autism conference and what I'll take home with me

A coffee I hastily downed at the conference between lectures!

This week has been momentous. Okay, that might have been a bit of an overstatement, but I did turn twenty-three and attend my very first (but definitely not last) autism conference - Autscape. In this post, I want to have a little chat about my experience there, how it's changed how I view myself and my diagnosis, and what I'll be taking home from my adventures. If you're interested, read on! If not, why'd you click? (I kid! Thanks anyway!)

Autscape was at first incredibly, irrevocably overwhelming. I think this rang true for all of us. Suddenly going from our routines, our close friends and family with whom we are completely comfortable, to the prospect (and the reality) of a place milling with people (mostly) who we have never met before and would never normally meet under "normal" circumstances. It is at once both very terrifying and very exciting, and often difficult to differentiate between the two.

A butterfly kindly posed for pictures...

It took me a little while to settle into Autscape: at first I couldn't seem to navigate the program and relied on snippets from other people's conversations to discover what I was going on, but I soon, with the help of some newly-made friends, began to integrate into and participate with the actual content of the conference. It was interesting learning about neuroqueer intersectionality, the 'elephant in the room' and exactly why we autistic folk disappear as we grow older. The interaction badges (literal lanyards that indicated 'neutral' as available to talk, 'prior permission' and 'red ('do not interact') as indicators that we may not want to be spoken to, or perhaps only by certain people) kept about our collective person also helped a heck of a lot with moderating our conversations and let others know when was a good time to talk to us. I want to use mine at home! But that might seem weird....

I am here and I am weird!

Moving onto the whole 'weird' thing. I can now see, through interaction with other 'weird' folk (I see weird as a good thing, so if you were at Autscape and are reading this, please don't be offended by my use of that word - it is entirely positive in my eyes and I use it because it is what others have always considered me!) and through the beginnings of what I know see as a radical acceptance of my weirdness, I can now proclaim that I am bloody proud to be weird! And we all should be! Odd neurotypicals included.

For the first couple of days, I continued to do what we call 'masking' (aka pretending to be "normal"), but as the days unfolded, I, the self-proclaimed hermit crab, abandoned my very comfortable, very protective shell, to enter a world where I could truly be myself. It was wonderful, it was freeing and that was a feeling I have decided to keep, as much as I can, with me after Autscape.

Why should I have to 'mask' who I am? I want to be myself entirely just as I and many others felt we could be in the inclusive, welcoming and warm environment that we found at Autscape. I am proud to call these people my friends and I am so, so excited to attend next year if the fates allow.

Bloody love these starry flares!!

A huge thank you to everyone who made my experience so lovely at Autscape and to the organisers and volunteers who made it possible. Also, thank you for reading this post, I hope it warmed the cockles of your heart even slightly, autistic or not. 

We need more places like Autscape, where people can truly be themselves, where autism is celebrated and accepted. We are all human, neurodiverse or not and everyone deserves to feel accepted and loved and where self-love is encouraged and is often expected. Much love to you all, over and out!

Instagram @jumper.dweller

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not-Dinner-Party-Appropriate: anecdotes from the mental hospital

 I feel like a time traveller. I've awoken in 2021, sleeping through a pandemic and my teenage years, now in my mid-twenties. I have no dinner-party-appropriate anecdotes. Only mental ill-health with bouts of questionable wellness. I have been in four different mental hospitals, which I predict could be four more than most people. No one talks about it, including me. Like, at all.  Whenever someone talks about mental illness, there is this most impenetrable silence, followed by: 'I knew someone who was depressed once.' Or a casual, almost nonchalant change of subject. I mean, we talk about mental health a lot - how to keep it afloat, how to do 'self-care' in a commercially-assisted sense. It's all body butters and face masks.  I don't like it when people reduce preventing mental illness down to looking after yourself or not. That is a large part of it, a whole team of people looked after me at my worst. Most things cannot be made better with a face mask.  It

Imposters: a story about a Capgras delusion

  It's cold. I'm always so cold. My hands quiver blue and wrists bloom purple, after days of bang, bang, banging my wrist on the arm of my chair. I don't think I'm okay, but I don't think I'm not okay either. I think, I think, I think I'm breaking. I am on the children's ward. I have not seen my real parents for months. Some strange people visit sometimes. I hide from them. They are not my parents. They are often nice and I begin to trust them, then they'll do something off-kilter and I shy away again, like a beaten dog.  I had climbed out of a window, bawled through the lane outside the house and taken solace at a friend's home up the road. Gently I was led back to my childhood home and bundled into the car, driven to the hospital and admitted in hopes of finding a way to avoid another inpatient admission. We couldn't find one.  I arrive at the unit, brittle. Last time I was in this position, I had a home, but now I'm adrift. My parents

Section three - a mental hospital anecdote

  There is so much that I can't tell you about my third admission, so much I can't remember. Illness blurs the details and the privacy I owe to my friends erases the daily minutiae of the unit. In short, I had been sectioned - section three, six months. A treatment order, that in retrospect, could probably have been avoided. Or maybe that is just what I like to tell myself when I think about it late at night.  I had found myself in a field, shivering in the early evening sun. It was July, I was in love, but still very, very ill. I had been taken on four occasions to our local accident and emergency department that week. I was, as I read later in my unit-admission report, 'no longer manageable in the community'. I was sad, but determined. I was determined to make an exit any way I could. Instead I was flown to Woking, heavily sedated - so much so that I have no memory of the journey there and was deemed 'unresponsive' in my admission interview.  I digress. So man