Skip to main content

Irlen Syndrome? You mean those tinted glasses you wear aren't actually sunglasses?

Me today! 

Hi folks! Thanks for clicking on this post. It's pretty late at night as I begin writing this, but I do like to occasionally burn the midnight oil, as they say. And on this fine night I wanted to write a little something about Irlen syndrome, how it has affected me and how the lenses used to treat this particular syndrome have changed my life. If you're interested in this seemingly unusual syndrome (it's actually not that uncommon), read on. 

Firstly, it may be just coming to your attention, or perhaps you'd already guessed, but I am autistic. I was diagnosed with high functioning autism aged fifteen, and although Irlen syndrome and autism are far from synonymous, I came across the existence of said syndrome through researching about autism and the sensory issues often attributed to it. 

The day I received my very first pair of Irlen lenses! I was overjoyed!

I began researching what I now recognise are episodes of dissociation, not always but often in combination with sensory overload, which are both experienced by people on the spectrum, though the former is more of a mental health complaint than issue caused by autism. I wanted to find a way to reduce these experiences and stumbled across the official website for Irlen syndrome, which I will link here. (You can find a lot of information there, I would recommend checking it out). 

Now, once I'd discovered the website, I couldn't quite believe the can of metaphorical worms that had opened before me, beginning with the fact that I had never realised that words didn't 'move on the page' for everyone. Bear in mind that I'd not read a book for years and had relied on audiobooks throughout my first year and a half of university. I just couldn't concentrate on a book because, and I'd not realised this wasn't normal, the words visibly shook on the page. Literally shook. It's hard to imagine and understand, I know, but honestly they did. With the correct coloured lenses they remain still and are not as 'confusing' as I describe them as they are without. A page of a book without the coloured lenses proves disorientating and exhausting. But, I hear you ask, what is so important about these coloured lenses? 

Me today (again!) 

Let's begin: the coloured lenses (mine are a pinkish/purple/peach colour) stop the word-wiggle and protect my light-sensitive brain from the sunlight that tends to overwhelm me. They have helped me relax in social situations and make going outside headache-free possible. They help me listen and concentrate, and have, I would say, helped me with previously rampant self-injurious behaviours (though they were not the only factor in the reduction of these). 

Ultimately, they lenses have changed my life. I am currently in the process of getting another pair and I'm so excited to have the correct colour again. I really can only thank Jean Felton, my diagnostician, for helping me get where I am today: about to start an MA and the proud reader of 55 books over the past year and a half. Since getting the lenses, my grades went up significantly and I've been so much more content. Irlen syndrome, untreated, can take a great toll, but thankfully there's a treatment: colour. So, nope, my lenses are not sunglasses! I promise! 

My outfit!

If you relate to any of the issues described in this post and may be wondering if you too have the syndrome, please do not hesitate to check out the Irlen website or do some gentle research. It has helped me so much. Perhaps it can help you too. 

Anyway, folks, that's today's ramble over and done with. See you for an update after Autscape next week. I hope you're all well! Over and out! (Sorry it's so late at night!)

 Instagram @jumper.dweller

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not-Dinner-Party-Appropriate: anecdotes from the mental hospital

 I feel like a time traveller. I've awoken in 2021, sleeping through a pandemic and my teenage years, now in my mid-twenties. I have no dinner-party-appropriate anecdotes. Only mental ill-health with bouts of questionable wellness. I have been in four different mental hospitals, which I predict could be four more than most people. No one talks about it, including me. Like, at all.  Whenever someone talks about mental illness, there is this most impenetrable silence, followed by: 'I knew someone who was depressed once.' Or a casual, almost nonchalant change of subject. I mean, we talk about mental health a lot - how to keep it afloat, how to do 'self-care' in a commercially-assisted sense. It's all body butters and face masks.  I don't like it when people reduce preventing mental illness down to looking after yourself or not. That is a large part of it, a whole team of people looked after me at my worst. Most things cannot be made better with a face mask.  It

Imposters: a story about a Capgras delusion

  It's cold. I'm always so cold. My hands quiver blue and wrists bloom purple, after days of bang, bang, banging my wrist on the arm of my chair. I don't think I'm okay, but I don't think I'm not okay either. I think, I think, I think I'm breaking. I am on the children's ward. I have not seen my real parents for months. Some strange people visit sometimes. I hide from them. They are not my parents. They are often nice and I begin to trust them, then they'll do something off-kilter and I shy away again, like a beaten dog.  I had climbed out of a window, bawled through the lane outside the house and taken solace at a friend's home up the road. Gently I was led back to my childhood home and bundled into the car, driven to the hospital and admitted in hopes of finding a way to avoid another inpatient admission. We couldn't find one.  I arrive at the unit, brittle. Last time I was in this position, I had a home, but now I'm adrift. My parents

Section three - a mental hospital anecdote

  There is so much that I can't tell you about my third admission, so much I can't remember. Illness blurs the details and the privacy I owe to my friends erases the daily minutiae of the unit. In short, I had been sectioned - section three, six months. A treatment order, that in retrospect, could probably have been avoided. Or maybe that is just what I like to tell myself when I think about it late at night.  I had found myself in a field, shivering in the early evening sun. It was July, I was in love, but still very, very ill. I had been taken on four occasions to our local accident and emergency department that week. I was, as I read later in my unit-admission report, 'no longer manageable in the community'. I was sad, but determined. I was determined to make an exit any way I could. Instead I was flown to Woking, heavily sedated - so much so that I have no memory of the journey there and was deemed 'unresponsive' in my admission interview.  I digress. So man