Skip to main content

Body Hair: a personal choice and a radical acceptance of our physicality

In this post, there will be pics of my unshaven armpits (and legs), so beware, prepare to question all you've ever known! (I kid!)

Body hair: it's safe to say it's a taboo for women. There are plenty of womanly/non-binary folks going against the grain and choosing not to shave or wax or somehow other rip out hair unnecessarily. I'm not going to lie, I do feel a bit scared to write (and maybe publish?) this post. I'm not fully confident about showing my body hair. Maybe the photos in this post will be a bit of exposure therapy for me? But the main purpose of this post is to challenge a belief you may or may not hold about body hair being unfeminine or generally abhorrent for women. Let's get on with it! (Sorry if this post reads a bit odd, I'm very fired up by this topic, hence the potentially preachy tone).

The basics: it’s not unhygienic, believe it or not

Essentiality, and this is common knowledge, body hair is there for a reason. It protects the sensitive skin of the areas which it covers most prolifically, reduces sweating and the odour that sweat sometimes produces. It is an entirely natural (and in my mind, wonderful) thing. It is not to be fought in the way it is done so today.

Hair grows in places we now deem best clean shaven, but it hasn’t always been that way. On the continent, it is rare for women to shave. I’ve walked through French markets as a child, and due to my British unbringing, been bewildered by the dark hair sprouting from European women’s armpits. I know find that somewhat sad, that even as a child, underarm hair was strange and unusual. Something so natural had become surprising, even shocking.


In the past, women simply didn’t shave. The didn’t have the means to, as razors were yet to be considered a female implement, something which later became purely a money-making-exercise for the razor companies, when targeting men simply wasn’t enough.

It’s a modern, British-American thing to shave (this is not to say that women elsewhere don’t shave at all) and it is so ingrained in our culture that I do not doubt that people will find my writing this post and sharing these photos vulgar and inappropriate. Let’s question that!

A Feminist Rhetoric: why shaving is not a female obligation

Men are not expected to shave their legs, armpits, pubic area or even their face unless they so choose.  Why is it that all these areas must be shaven on women? How has it become obligatory for women to be smooth and hairless? The damaging effect that the media has had on what we view as attractive for females shines through strongest in this case.

Attractive women are neat, tidy, smooth. They have reduced all that it means to be womanly: curves are straightened and ‘unsightly’ aspects are removed (cellulite, skin imperfections and of course, body hair). We are shrunk and shorn away at until there only remains what we are told to be. Some are happy to live and present themselves in this way. I am not, and maybe you’re not either. But I still feel the pull to be how everyone expects a female-bodied person to be. I’m sure you do too.
Even Hector, my boyfriend's dog, marvels at my audacity, haha. 

Rebellion: Embracing our physicality and animalistic traits

We are animals. Human-animals, but animals all the same. Growing out body hair is a small, but important acknowledgment that we are creatures of the natural world, not of the world of social media, the mass media and of the public sphere. 

With every stare and disgusted look, I want to challenge what society has programmed us to believe is beautiful. I can be beautiful and not shave my armpits. I can beautiful and not shave my legs. It simply doesn’t matter, because beauty standards are made to be broken, and we should not feel restricted by what is dictated to us. If you want to grow out your hair, body or otherwise, you are free to do so. If you want to shave it all off, for comfortability reasons or any other reasons you see fit, body or otherwise, do it! 

I shaved my head nearly two years ago and with that there came a kind of freedom I'd never experienced. Granted, I'd never do it again, but what I was blissfully unaware of before was that the majority of people don't like it when women aren't how they expect them to be, it shocks them. 

Therefore, I implore you, if you want to be hairy, go for it. There's nothing stopping you, because the standards set for us by the world should not exist, and the more we go against the grain, the softer and more malleable the parameters of 'what a woman should look like' become. 

The individual decides what they feel most comfortable with. Our bodies are all we'll truly ever own, so do with it what you will. Don't let 'them' force you into a corner, I certainly won't. 

My (also, of course) unshaven legs! Complete with tattoos!

Thank you so much for reading this (actually quite angry and weirdly written) blog post. I hope you found it a little bit helpful (and not too preachy). And I hope you liked the photos! 

If you'd like to follow me on instagram, you can find me @jumper.dweller 
And if you want to subscribe for email updates, it's at the top of the homepage of my blog

Stay fab, you wonderful lot. 

Over and out! <3 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not-Dinner-Party-Appropriate: anecdotes from the mental hospital

 I feel like a time traveller. I've awoken in 2021, sleeping through a pandemic and my teenage years, now in my mid-twenties. I have no dinner-party-appropriate anecdotes. Only mental ill-health with bouts of questionable wellness. I have been in four different mental hospitals, which I predict could be four more than most people. No one talks about it, including me. Like, at all.  Whenever someone talks about mental illness, there is this most impenetrable silence, followed by: 'I knew someone who was depressed once.' Or a casual, almost nonchalant change of subject. I mean, we talk about mental health a lot - how to keep it afloat, how to do 'self-care' in a commercially-assisted sense. It's all body butters and face masks.  I don't like it when people reduce preventing mental illness down to looking after yourself or not. That is a large part of it, a whole team of people looked after me at my worst. Most things cannot be made better with a face mask.  It

Imposters: a story about a Capgras delusion

  It's cold. I'm always so cold. My hands quiver blue and wrists bloom purple, after days of bang, bang, banging my wrist on the arm of my chair. I don't think I'm okay, but I don't think I'm not okay either. I think, I think, I think I'm breaking. I am on the children's ward. I have not seen my real parents for months. Some strange people visit sometimes. I hide from them. They are not my parents. They are often nice and I begin to trust them, then they'll do something off-kilter and I shy away again, like a beaten dog.  I had climbed out of a window, bawled through the lane outside the house and taken solace at a friend's home up the road. Gently I was led back to my childhood home and bundled into the car, driven to the hospital and admitted in hopes of finding a way to avoid another inpatient admission. We couldn't find one.  I arrive at the unit, brittle. Last time I was in this position, I had a home, but now I'm adrift. My parents

Section three - a mental hospital anecdote

  There is so much that I can't tell you about my third admission, so much I can't remember. Illness blurs the details and the privacy I owe to my friends erases the daily minutiae of the unit. In short, I had been sectioned - section three, six months. A treatment order, that in retrospect, could probably have been avoided. Or maybe that is just what I like to tell myself when I think about it late at night.  I had found myself in a field, shivering in the early evening sun. It was July, I was in love, but still very, very ill. I had been taken on four occasions to our local accident and emergency department that week. I was, as I read later in my unit-admission report, 'no longer manageable in the community'. I was sad, but determined. I was determined to make an exit any way I could. Instead I was flown to Woking, heavily sedated - so much so that I have no memory of the journey there and was deemed 'unresponsive' in my admission interview.  I digress. So man