Skip to main content

Who you are (and who you want to be): self-actualisation through style!

The first dress!
Details
Dress: Vintage Laura Ashley
Waistcoat: charity shop (brand unknown) 
Shoes: vintage Dr Martens

Being steadfast in your identity is pretty darn difficult in your youth. You're constantly evolving, being moulded by society, but primarily yourself, into who you want to be. They say self-assuredness (is that even a word? It is now!) comes with age. 'They' are probably right. So why not use your teens, twenties, and even early thirties (age is but a number, eh?) to explore who you might one day become through the ideals, projections and desires of who you are now. Only through experimentation can you decide the characteristics and interests you want to cultivate in the future you. Great things are on the horizon. 

Admittedly, this post is a bit of a thought experiment, or perhaps even simply an expanded train of thought that chugged its way through my rather busy brain (pun intended!). It relates to how we feel in ourselves to how clothes (and hair and makeup and accessories) can make us feel. Self-expression becomes self-projection, which in turn becomes reality. 


The second dress! 
Details
Dress: vintage via charity shop
Blazer: charity shop (brand unknown)
Boots: Miss Selfridge 

Personally, lately I've really been playing around with my femininity. I don't feel very feminine in my mind, but I appreciate my female-bodiedness and want to explore this particular previously forbidden avenue. So, I've been wearing (well, mostly buying, actually) a lot of vintage dresses. The two pictured here are two of my latest purchases. 

In the first one, I feel powerful in my womanly body, free-spirited and motherly. It is reminiscent of times-gone-by and fills me with a rich sense of elegance and full-bodied happiness. In the second one, I feel put-together in both life and style (meaning that I know what the heck I'm doing, which is not something I usually know...), ambitious and professional. For me, these dresses project a sense of knowing, both in the power of my body and my mind, in my personality and my career. They demonstrate my ideal future self: eccentric, motherly, hard-working, accomplished. I feel striking in them (if you could ever describe my dull exterior as striking (minus the hair, which screams 'vibrant!' and 'passionate!'). 

An expression of these traits, or any that you might choose, will then become an experienced reality by strangers, new friends, estranged family members, if only as a first impression, but maybe even as a more prolonged opinion of you.


Our appearance is the first message that we send to the physical world, the primary way to convey who we are deeper within. However, if we are to dress to project who we want to be - whether this is feminine/masculine/genderless, confident or unique - we can use our initial message to push ourselves closer towards our ideal selves, to actualise who we want to be. 

The world sees our vintage dress, our suit, our double-denim combo, and makes an assumption about our character. If treated, even initially, like who we want to one day become, we are one step closer to actually becoming that person.


Style is an incredibly powerful tool. 
Appearance is more than frivolity and self-indulgence. It is a signal to the world that dictates how we should be viewed and treated.
Use it wisely! 

Right, so that's the conclusion to this ramble/thought experiment(?)/dose of Louise's personal blah-blah-blah. I'm sorry if it's written slightly more formally than usual, I'm in an academic(ish) mood. 

I hope you enjoyed this commentary on style as a tool for self-actualisation. 
What did you think of the outfits? Let me know in the comments. 

A selection of side-notes:
(I post twice a week)
(Please follow this blog if you like what you see!) 
(Follow me on instagram @jumper.dweller) 

Okay, I'm done now, thank you very much for reading! Over and out! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not-Dinner-Party-Appropriate: anecdotes from the mental hospital

 I feel like a time traveller. I've awoken in 2021, sleeping through a pandemic and my teenage years, now in my mid-twenties. I have no dinner-party-appropriate anecdotes. Only mental ill-health with bouts of questionable wellness. I have been in four different mental hospitals, which I predict could be four more than most people. No one talks about it, including me. Like, at all.  Whenever someone talks about mental illness, there is this most impenetrable silence, followed by: 'I knew someone who was depressed once.' Or a casual, almost nonchalant change of subject. I mean, we talk about mental health a lot - how to keep it afloat, how to do 'self-care' in a commercially-assisted sense. It's all body butters and face masks.  I don't like it when people reduce preventing mental illness down to looking after yourself or not. That is a large part of it, a whole team of people looked after me at my worst. Most things cannot be made better with a face mask.  It

Imposters: a story about a Capgras delusion

  It's cold. I'm always so cold. My hands quiver blue and wrists bloom purple, after days of bang, bang, banging my wrist on the arm of my chair. I don't think I'm okay, but I don't think I'm not okay either. I think, I think, I think I'm breaking. I am on the children's ward. I have not seen my real parents for months. Some strange people visit sometimes. I hide from them. They are not my parents. They are often nice and I begin to trust them, then they'll do something off-kilter and I shy away again, like a beaten dog.  I had climbed out of a window, bawled through the lane outside the house and taken solace at a friend's home up the road. Gently I was led back to my childhood home and bundled into the car, driven to the hospital and admitted in hopes of finding a way to avoid another inpatient admission. We couldn't find one.  I arrive at the unit, brittle. Last time I was in this position, I had a home, but now I'm adrift. My parents

Section three - a mental hospital anecdote

  There is so much that I can't tell you about my third admission, so much I can't remember. Illness blurs the details and the privacy I owe to my friends erases the daily minutiae of the unit. In short, I had been sectioned - section three, six months. A treatment order, that in retrospect, could probably have been avoided. Or maybe that is just what I like to tell myself when I think about it late at night.  I had found myself in a field, shivering in the early evening sun. It was July, I was in love, but still very, very ill. I had been taken on four occasions to our local accident and emergency department that week. I was, as I read later in my unit-admission report, 'no longer manageable in the community'. I was sad, but determined. I was determined to make an exit any way I could. Instead I was flown to Woking, heavily sedated - so much so that I have no memory of the journey there and was deemed 'unresponsive' in my admission interview.  I digress. So man